From: Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Using PaX / Need to recompile whole gentoo?
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 11:47:45
1 Michael Decker wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 >i'm confused. Perhaps somebody could help me, please.
6 >
7 >I thought, if I use "hardened gentoo" sources, it would be compiled with
8 >PIE/SSP, or not?
9 >
10 >But http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/pax-quickstart.xml tells:
11 >
12 > --- SNIP ---
13 >5. Building a PIE/SSP Enabled Userland
14 >Hardened Gentoo has added support for transparent PIE/SSP building via
15 >GCC's specfile. This means that any users upgrading an older Hardened
16 >install should remove any LDFLAGS or CFLAGS used to trigger PIE/SSP.
17 >Also, the hardened-gcc package is now deprecated and should be unmerged
18 >(version 5.0 is a dummy package). To get the current GCC, add
19 >USE="hardened pic" to /etc/make.conf if not using the hardened profile.
20 >To maintain a consistant toolchain, first emerge binutils gcc
21 >virtual/libc. Next, rebuild the entire system with emerge -e world. All
22 >future packages will be built with PIE/SSP.
23 > --- SNAP ---
24 >
25 >So I start "emerge binutils gcc virtual/libc"... But it take now more
26 >then three hours on my old machine and I think it would take additional
27 > four or more hours... And I think "emerge -e world" would take more
28 >time, or not?
29 >
30 >Is it really necessary to recompile that whole stuff?
31 >
32 >Thanks a lot.
33 >
34 >Bye,
35 > Mike
38 Hi,
39 The name "hardened-sources" applies just to the kernel-sources, they are
40 *hardened* so to say.
41 To have a hardened (so to say) userland you need a hardened-toolchain
42 and consequently this will result in having hardened userland programs
43 (SSP,PIC,PIE) + PaX from the kernel.
44 But better use a "hardened-stage3" tarball right from the install (less
45 compilation).
46 HTH.Rumen
47 --
48 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list