From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] flash player plugin
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 00:09:15
1 On 30 Nov 2007 at 1:21, Alex Efros wrote:
2
3 > Hi!
4 >
5 > On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 11:26:00PM +0200, pageexec@××××××××.hu wrote:
6 > > 1. your exact kernel version + .config
7 >
8 > 2.6.20-hardened-r10, .config attached
9
10 thanks, you could uprade to a newer kernel eventually, .20 hasn't been
11 supported for a long time and i fixed bugs since (unrelated to the current
12 issue though).
13
14 > > 2. all PaX logs (if grsec removed address info, disable randomization
15 > > and reproduce them that way)
16 >
17 > If you will not be able to reproduce this issue, notify me which options
18 > in kernel config I should disable and I'll try it. Current logs are:
19
20 thanks, i reproduced it with that site now. it seems that (probably)
21 flash resorts to some runtime code generation, therefore chpax/paxctl
22 -m on firefox and that opera wrapper is enough to get it to work, no
23 need to disable non-exec pages altogether. not that it's a good solution
24 as your browser will run without MPROTECT for all other webpages as
25 well, but it's required unless flash is changed to not generate this
26 code at runtime (by looking at the disasm, it seems to be a small function
27 and the code doesn't look like that it really had to be runtime generated
28 so chances are that this is fixable, but not by us obviously).
29
30 > home ~ # paxctl -v /opt/firefox/firefox-bin
31 > PaX control v0.5
32 > Copyright 2004,2005,2006,2007 PaX Team <pageexec@××××××××.hu>
33 >
34 > file /opt/firefox/firefox-bin does not have a PT_PAX_FLAGS program header, try conversion
35
36 hm, so you didn't compile this firefox yourself nor was it provided
37 by gentoo, correct? even then, paxctl -C should be able to handle it,
38 ditto for the opera wrapper.
39
40 > P.S. Not sure is it related to this issue, but it's usual for me to see
41 > this in kernel log while using opera (opera continue working like nothing
42 > is happens, but probably these messages mean some flash banners don't
43 > working or so):
44
45 these are 'normal' crashes, not due to PaX, but more likely application
46 bugs. also hard to debug without source code/symbol info of course.
47
48 > P.P.S. If I remember correctly, initial flags for both opera&ff binaries
49 > was "PeMRxS". Now I've tried to enable S again, but looks like chpax
50 > disable P when enable S and vice versa. So I unable to restore initial
51 > "PeMRxS" flags. If this expected behaviour?
52
53 -zex will restore the original flag state.
56 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list