From: Patrick Grieshaber <sysspoof@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] to chroot or not to chroot
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2009 07:09:23
1 Hi,
2
3 there are multiple ways to break out of a chroot-jail (example:
4 http://www.bpfh.net/simes/computing/chroot-break.html). So don't rely
5 on chroot's "security".
6
7 In my opinion I can't recommend chrooting a apache because:
8 - time (chrooting apache costs a lot of time)
9 - complexity -> unstable (if you forget to cpy a lib to the chroot
10 env apache crashes during usage)
11 - obsecurity
12
13 If you need a webserver with a good protection you should consider
14 using SELinux for example. This is a bit better security. But of
15 course - the complexity is far more harder then a chroot...
16 If SELinux is too much for you, use a virtual machine and secure the
17 apache with nice settings, mod_security, php-ids and similiar
18 technologies. I think I'd do it like that... just my 2 cents.
19
20 sysspoof
23 > Hello,
24 > I would like to see some opinions on chrooting -
25 >
26 > 1) how big are possible risks of hardened gentoo system compromise,
27 if apache
28 > is run normally, therefore a need of chrooting?
29 >
30 > 2) suppose I chroot Apache: what chances it still has to harm
31 > something in the
32 > outside OS? My knowledge about various system capabilities, network
33 etc is
34 > too little, so enlighten me... And how big is an Apache chroot?
35 >
36 > And by the way, how big are the risks for sshd and ntpd to open up
37 a way into
38 > the hardened gentoo system? Can that recent ntp glsa be ignored, if
39 its
40 > hardened with memory protections?
41 >
42 > Jan