From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Barry Dunn <lists@×××××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] cpufreqd-1.1.1 segmentation fault with hardened
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 21:25:38
1 On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 21:50, Barry Dunn wrote:
2 > Hi, I've converted a recent install to hardened (USE=hardened, changed
3 > the profile to hardened-x86-2004.0, emerge gcc binutils glibc && emerge
4 > -e world, using hardened-dev-sources-2.6.7-r3) and now cpufreqd won't
5 > start, it segfaults every time. I will be using grsec/pax but have
6 > removed them from the kernel for now, cpufreqd is still the same though.
7 >
8 > Guess I need to post a bug report, just thought I'd see if anyone had
9 > any suggestions first on things to try. There's an strace below fwiw.
13 > Now that flags like -pie and -fstack-protector are deprecated in favour
14 > of the hardened use flag, can anyone tell me how best to disable
15 > hardened stuff when compiling particular packages, to work around any
16 > problem like this? (I confess I'm not too clear on what all the compiler
17 > options do or how they interrelate... more reading required.)
20 [snip]
21
22 # This will disable everything.
23
24 # -fno-stack-protector-all disables ssp
25 # -fno-pie builds main executables as ET_EXEC
26
27 CFLAGS="-fno-stack-protector -fno-pie" emerge cpufreqd
28 # for EI_PAX flags
29 chpax -permsx /usr/sbin/cpufreqd
30 # for PT_PAX_FLAGS
31 paxctl -permsx /usr/sbin/cpufreqd
34 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
35 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer