From: "Javier J. Martínez Cabezón" <tazok.id0@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] "How hard" is Linux kernel-side hardening?
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:14:19
1 There is not a complete reference if not a lot of tips to close little
2 doors instead, for example, you can implement a trusted path execution
3 and forbid execution to nothing more that the common binaries and
4 libraries (/bin /sbin /usr/bin /lib etc) to avoid exploits, you could
5 restrict the interpretation of scripts (in the way of "perl
6 myuntrusted_script.pl", forbidding people to use perl to avoid the
7 TPE). You could restrict the missuse of TIOCSTI call to avoid fake
8 instructions insertion in "an privilege user tty" by a compromised
9 root (I don't know if this could be done in grsecurity).
10
11 Another question that I think grsec lacks is the control of which
12 SETUID binary could change to which uid (for example, permit only
13 login to change to the uid 1000 and not 80), or forbid setuid if the
14 user does not authenticate itself against the kernel (with a password
15 in for example sshd, so remote exploits which affect priviledge parts
16 of sshd only could change to uid 22 and not to root or those which
17 affect login could be controlated)
18
19 However there is a lot of questions to control a few documentation to it.