From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Cc: Brad Spengler <spender@××××××××××.net>, pageexec@××××××××.hu
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] New Kconfig structure in hardened-sources-3.4.4-r1
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 21:03:02
1 Hi everyone,
2
3 Upstream has change the structure of the configuration menu for
4 grsec/pax. The new Kconfig is in hardened-sources-3.4.4-r1 which I have
5 just added to the tree. I want to alert the list so people are not
6 surprised upon upgrade. Here's roughly what has changed:
7
8 0. The Grsecurity menu now has the follwoing top level items:
9
10 Configuration Method (Automatic/Custom)
11 <- to what extent we choose the config for you
12
13 Usage Type (Server/Desktop)
14
15 Virtualization Type (None/Guest/Host)
16 <- is this kernel to be used on a virt guest or virt host or none
17
18 ... other virt options which are obvious ...
19
20 Required Priorities <- Security vs Performance. There are a few
21 security options like UDEREF that hit up perf
22
23 Customize Configuration <- The above gives you a baseline,
24 but you are not locked into anything like previously,
25 and you can tweak further here.
26
27 1. Gone are Gentoo's predefined HARDENED_SERVER, HARDENED_DESKTOP and
28 HARDENED_VIRTUALIZATION. There is no need for them anymore as they are
29 pretty much subsumed under the above. With some minor differences:
30
31 HARDENED_SERVER => Type=Server, Priority=Security, Virt=None
32 HARDENED_DESKTOP => Type=Desktop, Priority=Security, Virt=None
33 HARDENED_VIRTUALIZATION => Type=Server, Priority=Security Virt=<mixed>
34
35 We never did get our HARDENED_VIRTUALIZATION quite right with all the
36 possible combinations, so I just went with a lowest common denominator
37 which upstream felt should be better refined. Quite rightly so. When I
38 started down that path I quickly realized what a quagmire it is.
41 2. I've tried to keep the Gentoo GIDs where possible. There is one bug
42 that I've noticed, which I'm passing to upstream. Toggling "Invert GID
43 option" under TPE does not toggle between our trusted (GID=10) and our
44 untrusted (GID=100) values. You can change them manually, but since in
45 Gentoo we want to keep our GIDs in line [1], we need to change
46 upstream's default values to ours.
49 3. I really like what upstream has done. Two things in particular: a)
50 the granularity of the virt options and 2) the ability to start with
51 some baseline Automatic config and then tweak. However, give me
52 feedback because we need to make them work for our users.
55 Enjoy!
59 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
60 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
61 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
62 GnuPG FP : 8040 5A4D 8709 21B1 1A88 33CE 979C AF40 D045 5535
63 GnuPG ID : D0455535