From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] util-vserver broken after upgrade to gcc-4.3.4
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:09:00
Hi, upgrading to gcc-4.3.4 (amd64) has gone mostly smoothly, but it's
broken my util-vserver package and now it segfaults every time I try and
start a vserver... :-(

...Actually in the course of writing this email I appear to have found a
solution.  Posting this in case it helps someone else:

It appears that currently stable versions of dietlibc need to be
compiled with a vanilla compiler under 3.4.6 or they will segfault when
using a recent util-vserver.  However, I couldn't find a working compile
under gcc-4.3 for the currently stable dietlibc

However, the following packages at least are fine and dandy after being
compiled with the new gcc-4.3.4 "hardened" (ie no SSP)

    dev-libs/dietlibc-0.33_pre20090721
    sys-cluster/util-vserver-0.30.216_pre2849

My guess is that the earlier dietlibc is/was actually broken in some
subtle way, but at least this newer version seems "good enough"...

Hope this helps someone

Ed W