From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] util-vserver broken after upgrade to gcc-4.3.4
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 18:09:00
1 Hi, upgrading to gcc-4.3.4 (amd64) has gone mostly smoothly, but it's
2 broken my util-vserver package and now it segfaults every time I try and
3 start a vserver... :-(
4
5 ...Actually in the course of writing this email I appear to have found a
6 solution. Posting this in case it helps someone else:
7
8 It appears that currently stable versions of dietlibc need to be
9 compiled with a vanilla compiler under 3.4.6 or they will segfault when
10 using a recent util-vserver. However, I couldn't find a working compile
11 under gcc-4.3 for the currently stable dietlibc
12
13 However, the following packages at least are fine and dandy after being
14 compiled with the new gcc-4.3.4 "hardened" (ie no SSP)
15
16 dev-libs/dietlibc-0.33_pre20090721
17 sys-cluster/util-vserver-0.30.216_pre2849
18
19 My guess is that the earlier dietlibc is/was actually broken in some
20 subtle way, but at least this newer version seems "good enough"...
21
22 Hope this helps someone
23
24 Ed W