From: Rob Kendrick <rjek@××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Bought an "entropy-key" - very happy
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:02:34
1 On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 09:15:19 -0500
2 Brian Kroth <bpkroth@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > This probably won't actually happen until some distant point in the
5 > future, but I'm especially interested in getting it to virtual
6 > machines. Unfortunately, from what I can find there's no nice
7 > interface between the host's rng and the vm for vmware esx like there
8 > is for kvm (eg: virtio_rng). Anyone know of one?
9
10 The tool you previously mentioned, Entropy Broker, is amongst the
11 better choices.
12
13 > With the entropy broker the thing I'm not totally clear on is how
14 > entropy bits transferred over the network (presumably without
15 > encryption as that might require entropy) would be worthwhile
16 > entropy?
17
18 I believe Entropy Broker encrypts, so it should be safe in that
19 respect. Not that it's much of a problem on a VM where the network
20 cable in question is a completely virtual one.
21
22 > What makes it different from the situation where you're
23 > using the network device interrupts as an source of entropy?
24 > Couldn't both be observable?
25
26 Such interrupts aren't great choices for entropy because they're so
27 easily manipulable, anyway.
28
29 > Another question - I keep seeing people suggesting to hook rngd (from
30 > rng-tools) up to /dev/urandom. Doesn't that just feed your system
31 > entropy with an prng most of the time? I feel like this just gives
32 > the illusion of a decent sized entropy pool. Might as well hook your
33 > app up to /dev/urandom instead, correct?
34
35 Yep.
36
37 B.