From: Alain Penders <alain@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Just joined, normallly would lurk, but...
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 21:55:35
1 Yes, but:
2
3 - "bash -c 'source abc'" still works, and does not require abc to be
4 executable. Hence, protecting against setting the x bit does not prevent
5 execution.
6
7 - All commands needed to compromise the system are already signed and +x'd.
8
9 Overall, this scheme doesn't seem to give any more security than a regular
10 tripwire does. Giving access denied on a chmod() only educates a hacker on
11 what does and does not work, and all he has to do is figure out how to
12 compromise the system to the point where he can safely replace executables.
13
14 All you can do while he's doing that is read log files and hope you'll catch
15 the failed attempts he might have made.
16
17 Very similar to tripwire, where a cracker would have to jump through the same
18 hoops to avoid detection.... and the detection process isn't any faster.
19
20 >From what I understand, SELinux and the new security framework in the 2.5
21 kernels do a waaaaay better job at detecting all the various things one can
22 screw with, and actually stopping crackers.
23
24 Alain