From: 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-hardened@l.g.o" <gentoo-hardened@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Do I need RBAC?
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 15:21:46
1 If you are talking about Grsecurity (which has a learning mode that makes
2 configuration very easy), and if your users are doing limited, standard
3 things, then a strong Yes! (though IIUC, SeLinux is difficult to
4 configure)
5
6 The RBAC protection will protect you if -you- or a trusted user does
7 something accidentally (e.g. shell command), or downloads something that
8 tries to exploit a news client or browser. It may also protect you if
9 someone ever compromises a portage distribution.
10
11 There seems to be a reluctance among some old-timers to use the hardened
12 tools anywhere else but on a server - I'd guess that is a holdover from
13 the last decade when both Linux and the hardening tools were being
14 created. Today's (non-selinux) tools are easy to use, and are IMHO quite
15 appropriate for home use in today's world of professional crackers going
16 after home users. Heh, even MS is "hardening" their new OS, VISTA.
19 On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 00:16:59 -0400,