From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] emerge via ssh doesn't work
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 21:03:50
1 On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 03:41:50PM -0400, Alain Toussaint wrote:
2 > I am building a headless server and for the most part, now
3 > that I have labelled everything (selinux), I am not able to continue
4 > emerging software via ssh. I know that it is a security features but is
5 > there something I can change in my setup or else, I’ll need to get a
6 > monitor for the machine?
7
8 Without the failure you get, it is not easy to tell you what to do, but my
9 guess would be that, once you are logged on to the server, you are in the
10 staff role:
11
12 ~# id -Z
13 root:staff_r:staff_t
14
15 In order to use Portage, you need to be in the system administration role,
16 so first switch roles:
17
18 ~# newrole -r sysadm_r
19 Password: <your root password>
20
21 ~# id -Z
22 root:sysadm_r:sysadm_t
23
24 Now you should be able to run emerge (and other administrative tasks).
25
26 Wkr,
27 Sven Vermeulen