From: Boyd Waters <bwaters+moz@××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: re: [gentoo-hardened] full system encryption
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2003 19:16:48
1 Joshua Brindle wrote:
2
3 > read this
4 > http://loop-aes.sourceforge.net/loop-AES.README
5 >
6 > and these
7 >
8 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=31363&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
9 >
10 > I'd really like something like this, particularly the example
11 > in the aes readme about using a passphrase, and gpg
12 > key on a usb dongle to mount the filesystem at boot time
13 >
14 > so basically i'm asking for volunteers to set up something
15 > like this, an ebuild that would create the initrd, and docs
16 > about encrypting the filesystems, etc.
20 I have a just such a system with cryptoAPI, initrd, and a USB memory
21 stick holding a GPG key working for 2.4.[19-21] kernels no problem. I
22 can document this and post to this list for others to test.
25 I have been working on this for months now... trying to get the initrd
26 to work well with kernel 2.6, with varying degrees of success, but no joy...
27
28 I have not had too much success with loop-AES initrd, as it makes many
29 assumptions regarding the util-linux version, patches to the kernel,
30 etc... since crytpoAPI is now standard for loopback encryption in the
31 2.6 kernel (and was included in the old crypto-sources kernel for
32 Gentoo), and is supported by mainline util-linux 2.12, I have been using
33 that.
34
35 At the moment, I cannot get a kernel 2.6 to pay attention to pivot_root.
36 Indeed I have never had a pivot_root call succeed on any version of any
37 kernel, so it is probably my stupidity. But I suspect that there is an
38 interaction with devfs that I don't fully apprehend. The loop-AES
39 maintainer does not quite understand devfs. I will continue to peruse
40 the Gentoo forum regarding this matter.
41
42 -- boyd
46 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list