From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Grsecurity slows down a web server?
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 15:04:43
1 On 24 Jan 2009 at 10:48, Grant wrote:
2
3 > >> Nope, you guys are absolutely right. It falls back to peMRS whether
4 > >> or not I enable PAGEEXEC since I don't have the nx flag.
5 > >
6 > > ok, so coming back to your original problem, are you saying that you
7 > > had an observable slowdown due to SEGMEXEC? if so, i'd like to see some
8 > > numbers and think about it, if you have some time.
9 >
10 > I thought there was a slowdown going from no grsecurity to grsecurity
11 > "Gentoo (server)", but now I'm not so sure. I'll keep an eye on it
12 > for sure. Would you consider an external http monitor's response
13 > times over 24 hours a good indicator of whether or not I should
14 > investigate further and do real benchmarking?
15
16 well, i thought you'd tell me what made you think that things became
17 slower than before ;). however if there's a slowdown, i doubt timing
18 over a network would be the best way to find out, i'd prefer direct
19 measurements on the affected host. so whenever you feel like it's
20 still worth doing it... ;)