From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] mmap bug trying to run VirtualBox with ~hardened-sources-2.6.23
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2007 13:39:02
1 On 1 Dec 2007 at 16:17, René Rhéaume wrote:
2
3 > I have no problem running Windows and Linux guests inside VirtualBox
4 > on gentoo-sources. UDEREF is not enabled in my kernel config as I read
5 > it does not work with virtualization. I also disabled MPROTECT on the
6 > binary, otherwise PaX simply kills VirtualBox.
7
8 UDEREF in the *guest* is unlikely to work, on the host it should be
9 fine (if it isn't then that points at some bug in other kernel code).
10
11 on the other hand KERNEXEC in the *host* will not work at all unless
12 the hypervisor code (in particular, the so-called 'world switch'
13 routine and some smaller stuff like host GDT manipulation) is properly
14 adapted to KERNEXEC.
15
16 now with that said, your BUG here doesn't look like one caused by any
17 particular hypervisor code, but something wrong detected in vma mirroring.
18 could you first of all try a newer hardened sources (such as -r2) or
19 even better, just test with the latest PaX test patch alone? i'd also
20 need CONFIG_KALLSYMS to be enabled (or the corresponding System.map
21 at least).
24 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list