From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Re: to chroot or not to chroot
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2009 09:26:57
1 RijilV wrote:
2 > 2009/6/10 7v5w7go9ub0o <7v5w7go9ub0o@×××××.com>:
3 >
4 >> FWIW, I jail/chroot everything that connects to the net; e.g. browsers,
5 >> mail client, tor client, DNS server, nmap, snort, dhcpcd .....
6 >> everything.
9 > What are you using to do your chrooting?
10 >
11 > .r'
15 Can I recommend the excellent linux-vserver project? It's a bit more
16 heavyweight than you were looking for, but basically makes it super
17 simple to spin up what feel like fully virtualised machines.
18 Weight-wise it's somewhere between a full virtualisation solution and a
19 chroot (in fact it's kind of a wrapper around a chroot to make it feel
20 like a full machine instance). If you are really keen though you can
21 use the unification utility and effectively hard-link many jails
22 together which gives you a very, very lightweight way to run up many
23 instances of a process. Personally I wouldn't boot up a server without
24 using at least this...
25
26 If you just want to harden apache then also look at mod_security which
27 can give you a chroot and also quite a decent "software firewall" that
28 may well help. grsecurity (or other rbac) could additionally be used to
29 constrain the damage a cgi script could cause
30
31 Good luck
32
33 Ed W