From: Marco Venutti <veeenrg@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] "How hard" is Linux kernel-side hardening?
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 20:25:41
1 --[cut]--
2 User-friendlyness depends on the level of security you want to implement.
3 I use a rather lazy grsecurity policy, but I still have to update it
4 approximately every two weeks - as new applications come by.
5 --[cut]--
6
7 I don't expect miracles, on the other hand I can dedicate,
8 approximately, 4 hours a week, in tuning and updating,
9 I know it's not so much, but I have to face this boundary.
10
11 --[cut]--
12 > If I've understood correctly GR-Security could
13 > be the best choice for desktop and RSBAC the
14 > best choice for server...isn't it?
15 --[cut]--
16
17 I understand what you mean, but everything can be learned,
18 so if something, I'm not using now, has a less-long history-list
19 of exploitable bugs, I'll be happy to move to that solution!
20 At the moment I'm using Grsecurity, I believe (and hope)
21 it is decently affordable, in the sense of the shortest possible
22 history-list of serious breaches/holes, but I've not done a really
23 in-depth-analisys, just some googling on these topics.
24 My first grsec configuration, was set up on a "Gentoo Workstation"
25 profile then tuned for best fits my laptop needs.
26
27 --[cut]--
28 You forgot to mention SSP (stack-smashing protection).
29 --[cut]--
30
31 I didn't forget it, but I'd like to primarily focus on
32 RSBAC and GR-Sec. and I didn't want to be wordy,
33 more than I naturally am, so I had to make a selection
34 and I've excluded it, nothing personal, just the need
35 to be synthetic...in some way...
36 I know this exclusion is questionable...
37 I'm sorry if this hurt you, because you like SSP ;-)
38 I've mentioned SELinux, 'cause it is a well-known
39 it is inside the vanilla, so, in some way it is a must
40 including SELinux in a topic like this!
41 On AppArmor I've spent few words just because
42 it comes with Ubuntu that is one of the most spred
43 Linux distro.
44
45 --[cut]--
46 You'll never find perfect security.
47 --[cut]--
48
49 I totally agree with this statement! sadly :-(
52 --[cut]--
53 Every software - even OBSD - has bugs.
54 --[cut]--
55
56 I'd like to clear I'm not OBSD super-fan,
57 it is only a term of comparison,
58 just an example, not propaganda
59 (that i personally dislike).
60
61 --[cut]--
62 Let me ask you just one thing. Please point me to an OBSD alternative ofthe
63 wide variety of Linux hardening solutions (SELinux, RSBAC, AppArmor or
64 grsecurity).
65 --[cut]--
66
67 OpenBSD had neighter the hardware support,
68 nor the opportunity of choice that only Linux
69 can offer to us, that's why I love Linux and
70 that's why I'm looking for hardening Linux
71 rather using OBSD, because I prefer Linux!!
72
73 I agree Linux has a lot of hardening solutions
74 and different approches, I love it!
75
76 In perfect world I would have time to perfectly
77 master every patch and then, consciously,
78 could choose the one best suits my needs...
79
80 coming back to real world, I've few hours a
81 week and I have to find out what to study...
82 I'd like to focus on 1 approch, hoping this will
83 lead me, in the future, to get a decent level
84 of knowledge.
85
86 Obviously I'm aware, with few hours I'll never
87 be up-to-date and seriously skilled, but I think
88 some hours are better than zero hours and I
89 hope I'll be, a bit more, cultered about security.
92 --[cut]--
93 Sacrifices must be made according to the level of security you are
94 targeting.
95 --[cut]--
96
97 I have to start, not from the level of security I'd like to get,
98 rather from the time I can dedicate...
99
100 I mean: these are X hours I can dedicate,
101 inside this perentory limit I can be free...
102 it's sad, but it's so...anyway I've faith!
103
104 Good evening ;-)