From: Matthew Thode <mthode@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Towards stabilizing the latest SELinux policies/utilities.
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2011 17:52:21
1 I run no-multilib and can offer to test postgres standalone for you.
2 But given that I run no-multilib I do not know if I can help until
3 that bug is fixed.
4
5 -- Matthew Thode
6
7 On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 17:33, Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be> wrote:
8 > On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 01:14:02PM -0400, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
9 >> I'm think we should go for stabilization --- I'm not sure how since the
10 >> arch teams are going to say they really can't test this for us, and as
11 >> they did with other packages, will probably defer the judgment back to
12 >> us.  If we do, we should take this responsibility very seriously because
13 >> the arch teams, if nothing else, are a double check on our work.
14 >
15 > For the time being, I'm focusing my attention on server-side testing:
16 > integrated virtual environments running bind, openldap for authentication
17 > with replication, a load-balanced apache setup offering squirrelmail access
18 > to a virtual mailhosting setup (postfix/courier) and a standalone postgres
19 > (still looking for something nice to fully test postgres with).
20 >
21 > I'm extending the environment with more and more services so that I have
22 > some testing environments for most of the servers (for instance, I have a
23 > build server that uses lighttpd) for which we have policies.
24 >
25 > However,
26 > - I'm focussing on strict policy (no unconfined domains) which is a major
27 >  shortage as we definitely want to support unconfined as well.
28 > - Although I run my desktops with SELinux strict as well, I'm hardly what
29 >  can be called a multimedia-user: apart from firefox and skype, all
30 >  utilities I use are mostly command-line ;-) So support for
31 >  desktop-oriented SELinux might still be lacking stuff.
32 >
33 > The reasons are fairly simple:
34 > - Strict allows us to focus on the policy itself and, in theory, if a strict
35 >  policy works well, unconfined should work well too as far as the same
36 >  activities are concerned.
37 > - Desktop applications are far too difficult to automatically test
38 >  (regressions), which leads me to
39 > - I hardly have the time to run manual tests ;-)
40 >
41 > Of course, when there are bugs (for instance with unconfined) it's a small
42 > step to convert to the targeted policy and verify if it is reproduceable
43 > (like it was with that pesky bug you mentioned in the beginning of your
44 > mail).
45 >
46 >> So far I see only a few bugs that need addressing still in bugzilla.
47 >> (The bug reports are a bit disorganized because of how they were
48 >> assigned.  We're going to be assigning selinux bugs to
49 >> selinux@g.o for easy lookup.)
50 >>
51 >> I think these are blockers to stabilization.  Any others you want to add
52 >> to the list?
53 >>
54 >> #355675 - No brainer. I'll test the patch there this afternoon and put
55 >> it on the tree later if it works.
56 >>
57 >> #346563 - sounds like a profile problem, but I'm not sure its valid
58 >
59 > If we go for stabilization (and I wouldn't mind, as most additional servers
60 > that I'm setting up hardly require updates on the policy) we should push the
61 > SELinux Hardened Handbook (currently in hardened-doc.git) as well as the
62 > SELinux FAQ. Also, the moment we stabilize, can we please get the
63 > "loadpolicy" stuff out of our profile (selinux/make.defaults) ;-)
64 >
65 > Anyhow, #346563 is about that weird multilib/nomultilib situation. SELinux
66 > profiles currently enable multilib and "-multilib" (aka "no-multilib") is
67 > for the time being not supported. But we might need to focus on this in the
68 > near future as I would assume in server environments no-multilib is
69 > preferred.
70 >
71 > Wkr,
72 >        Sven Vermeulen