From: Peter Hjalmarsson <xake@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: Hardened meeting summary 2010-05-16
Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 22:12:56
1 mån 2010-05-17 klockan 21:28 +0100 skrev Ed W:
2 > Can anyone comment if this is the case or I'm worrying over nothing?
3 >
4 > Ta
5 >
6 > Ed W
9 I would say you're worrying too much.
10
11 The important part in the toolchain equation is really PIE (and of
12 course -z,now, relro and those other stuff people forgets about) to give
13 you ASLR, and it is there in hardened gcc-4.3 in tree. SSP is also there
14 to some extent because it is implemented in FORTIFY_SOURCE which is
15 enabled in all of gentoo by default.
16 So I would say that the extra part SSP from GCC is nice but not
17 necessary.
18
19 Regards
20 Peter