From: Julian Rendell <wandering.womble@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o, pebenito@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Help: can't install to k6II 256Mb machine- emerge always segfaults
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 23:54:54
1 Hi Chris-
2 thanks for the reply.
3
4 Unfortunately I don't have much more than that to go on (suggestions welcome!)
5
6 I ran emerge with verbose/debug (from memory emerge -vd portage), lots
7 of text that looks ok, portage gets downloaded and built, but during
8 the final stage, when copying the files from the temp build location
9 (?), it gets through most/all(?) of the files, and the segfaults.
10
11 i.e. gets to the part of the process that spits out lots of:
12 >>> filex
13 >>> filey
14 ---- filez
15 ...
16 ...
17 Segmentation Fault
18
19 I think it's the end of this stage that is failing. The package is
20 not installed according to emerge -p (still indicates it needs to be
21 upgraded.) I'm pretty sure I also ran emerge to get it's version and
22 it's the old, not newly attempted to install, version.
23
24 dmesg shows lots of policy violations by python, and bash (or at least
25 that's how I interpret it.)
26
27 Is there a newer hardened boot CD?
28
29 Or should I try installing using vanilla gentoo and then 'upgrade' to SELinux?
30
31 How can I figure out which bit is breaking- and how do you suggest I
32 get more useful information?
33
34 Du'oh- I forgot to check for a core file. Will one have been
35 generated? Hmmm- even if one is generated, won't the files in the
36 stage tarball be stripped- so it won't be a lot of use?
37
38 Thanks in advance,
39
40 Julian