From: Steve Wray <steve@××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] selinux in vmware?
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 07:56:10
1 Chris PeBenito wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2005-05-11 at 08:05 +1200, Steve Wray wrote:
3 >
4 >>Hi there,
5 >>I've been trying to build selinux in a vmware box and so far I havn't
6 >>been able to get past stage 2.
7 >
8 > [cut]
9 >
10 >>Are there known issues with selinux under vmware?
13 > I don't know of any SELinux issues as either a guest or host OS.
14 > Specific error messages would help.
15
16 Its difficult to get exact error messages; in the first case vmware
17 crashes dismaly, sometimes (not often) taking the host with it in a
18 kernel panic.
19
20 In the second case its not consistent from one run to another; most of
21 the time gcc segfaults at various points in the glibc emerge. It takes
22 rather a long time to turn around these test runs, the crash can happen
23 as far as 8 or 9 hours into the build (the host is a dual athlon MP 2000
24 with 1G ram).
25
26 My first reaction was to suspect the host hardware.
27
28 However, memtest86 came up clean, and I have built regular gentoo from
29 stage 1 on the same vmware instance with no problems. The host itself
30 has been rock solid stable except for vmware. I've used it to build lots
31 of things.
32
33 I have some things I'll be testing in the next few days;
34
35 - building regular but hardened gentoo on vmware and converting that to
36 selinux.
37
38 - installing another hard drive and building selinux from stage 1 on
39 that using the same hardware as before, only not in vmware.
42 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list