From: "Tóth Attila" <atoth@××××××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] systemd-229 segfault triggers bruteforce prevention
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2016 19:07:37
1 2016.Június 2.(Cs) 21:39 időpontban "Tóth Attila" ezt írta:
2 > 2016.Június 2.(Cs) 02:31 időpontban Max R.D. Parmer ezt írta:
3 >> Not necessarily the ideal solution, but have you tried twiddling with
4 >> the stack size in limits.conf?
5 >
6 > I checked an the system-wide defaults apply to systemd, which is: 8M soft
7 > limit and _unlimited_ hard limit for stack size. So after exceeding soft
8 > limit systemd segfaults and tries to dump core.
9 >
10 > cat /proc/1/limits
11 > Limit Soft Limit Hard Limit Units
12 > Max stack size 8388608 unlimited bytes
13 >
14 > I expect any process to handle a situation of trying to exceed soft limit
15 > with unlimited hard limit in another way than segfaulting and attempting
16 > to dump core...
17
18 Increasing the limit doesn't fix the issue - I'm not surprised about that.
19
20 For those who are not familiar: systemd doesn't respect limits.conf. In
21 system.conf the default values can be configured and per unit limits can
22 be specified. To my surprise, systemd doesn't seem to pay attention to
23 it's own configuration file. In order to provide increased stack limit for
24 init, I also modified the kernel defaults. With no success.
25
26 >> If I read this right, grsec limits the size of the stack, which causes
27 >> the process to segfault.
28 >
29 > I think grsec does not enforce any stack limits here, it just reports the
30 > issue and makes it more visible.
31
32 I did a bisect and it turns out a this commit is responsible for the
33 symptoms:
34 https://github.com/systemd/systemd/commit/d054f0a4d451120c26494263fc4dc175bfd405b1
35 tree-wide: use xsprintf() where applicable
36
37 I try to contact the developer. Whether he has an idea on what is
38 happening here.
39
40 BR: Dw.
41 --
42 dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057
43 Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057