From: Sven Vermeulen <sven.vermeulen@××××××.be>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] New amd64 install
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 21:13:07
1 On Jan 14, 2012 9:24 PM, Tóth Attila <atoth@××××××××××.hu> wrote:
2 >
3 > I have two hardened gentoo systems I'm running for many years now. I've
4 > installed the personal server in 2004. The laptop started in 2005. Now the
5 > time has come, to change to 64bit. I can't circumwent it. You know it
6 > means I'm rolling these systems for many years without the need to
7 > reinstall! The server would just go to primary school now as a human
8 > being... I must say: hardened rocks!
9 >
10 > First I'll perform an install for the laptop. Later I'll go on with the
11 > server, when it'll get upgraded...
12 >
13 > I see some hardened stage3s from 2011 June on the mirrors. Should I start
14 > with them or rather convert a normal install? Are there any more recent
15 > hardened stages available online?
16
17 There are; you can find them at http://www.jmbsvicetto.name
18
19 > I will run a proprietary Linux software, which is still a 32bit binary.
20 > The software is statically linked, so it needs no other libraries at all.
21 > All other softwares I plan to run are 64bit (including libreoffice and
22 > firefox). What would you suggest? May I aim for a no-multilib install?
23 > Should I still go for regular multilib setup? Is it enough to enable 32bit
24 > compatibility for the kernel and let the whole system be 64bit otherwise?
25 > Are there any known serious obstacles with no-multilib?
26
27 Are you certain that *all* binaries offered are statically linked? It
28 wouldn't hurt to start out with a no-multilib and see if it indeed works.
29 Otherwise you'll never know ;-)
30
31 Wkr,
32 Sven Vermeulen