From: Ron Adee <rnad1000@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Cleaning up the hardened profiles
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 15:55:57
1 I was not aware of these profiles and don't need them.
5 On Sun, Jan 27, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Anthony G. Basile <
6 basile@××××××××××××××.edu> wrote:
7
8 > Hi everyone,
9 >
10 > The number of profiles in gentoo is growing *again* with the addition of
11 > release 13.0 profiles. Because of the way stacking works, adding these to
12 > hardened means a repetition of code in a way that is not good. I'll decide
13 > how to proceed in a week or so, let everyone know and then implement
14 > something. Right now I'm leaning towards "test" profiles for amd64 and x86
15 > and after some good period of testing (6 months?) just switch all of
16 > hardened from 10.0 to 13.0.
17 >
18 > While I'm at the business of rethinking the profiles, I've been wondering,
19 > does anyone use the /desktop, /developer, /server sub profiles? I've
20 > officially only listed the following
21 >
22 > [18] hardened/linux/amd64 *
23 > [19] hardened/linux/amd64/selinux
24 > [20] hardened/linux/amd64/no-**multilib
25 > [21] hardened/linux/amd64/no-**multilib/selinux
26 >
27 > for amd64, and similarly for other arches. But there also exist profiles
28 > like:
29 >
30 > hardened/linux/amd64/desktop
31 > hardened/linux/amd64/developer
32 > hardened/linux/amd64/server
33 >
34 > for ia64, ppc, ppc64 and x86. I didn't even bother to add these for mips
35 > or arm. These are not listed in profiles.desc, so you can't eselect them,
36 > but a user could manually create those links.
37 >
38 > If no one is using them, I'll mark them deprecated, and dump them in a
39 > month or two.
40 >
41 > Comments?
44 > --