From: Fredric Johansson <fredric.miscmail@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [solved] Re: [gentoo-hardened] mprotect question
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 15:51:27
1 On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 1:02 PM, Markus Oehme <oehme.markus@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I seem to have messed up my mail accounts and this list seems only to accept
5 > submissions from members, so here what I wrote to Anthony before.
6 >
7 > The cause is using link time optimization (-flto) as optimization with
8 > gcc. With it, the pattern is as I described, without it, everything works
9 > fine.
10
11 I have experienced that lto sometimes adds text relocations when using
12 it. As an example in zlib-1.2.3 (but not in 1.2.5) , so thats another
13 reason not to use lto on hardened.
14 Note that -flto -fstack-protector-all reenables the stack canaries,
15 but I havent checked whether or not that disables lto
16
17 //Fredric
20 >                Markus
21 >