From: RB <aoz.syn@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Updates: a way too simplified security question I am asking anyway
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 22:02:12
1 > Complexity matter again... Theoretically.. is it possible to enumerate all the
2 > possible scenarios for a file server? (or, I might have wrote - all of its
3 > states) Oh, sure, it has finite amount of memory :)
4
5 Those firmly on the "Threat modeling" side of the camp say you can.
6 The key is limiting your system's scope and using a positive
7 (default-deny) security model. It's resource-intensive for the
8 implementer on the front end and inflexible, but can work for some
9 scenarios.
10
11 > I started this as a "flame", but the rest might go out of scope of this list
12 > and send me to theoretical computer science.
13
14 In spite of my CS degree (and probable pursuit of an advanced degree),
15 I don't esteem academia very highly. Theory makes for pretty graphs
16 on thesis papers, but real-world application is the only way anything
17 will actually be solved.
18
19 > Javier Martínez:
20 > "control the execution of perl an python (between
21 > others) scripts (in the way of perl blablabla.pl, which does not need
22 > execution rights). You under this two frameworks you can do it. Can
23 > you do this under OpenBSD ;)"
24 >
25 > Thanks, just you put me on my way, if I really need a reliable system, that I
26 > can get NOW AND HERE :)
27
28 Yes - good, actionable suggestions. Of course, the threat modeling
29 crew makes a good argument that anything beyond a MAC (selinux, RSBAC,
30 etc.) is wasted effort. That, of course, assumes you've perfectly
31 succeeded in least-privilege.