From: "Tóth Attila" <atoth@××××××××××.hu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] elog logrotate portage problems
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 13:03:20
1 Some weeks before logrotate started to complain on elog permissions.
2 I've added the necessary su lines to the configuration. That was also
3 officially introduced in an updated ebuild later.
4 I made an effort to accommodate the grsec ruleset to take care of the
5 situation. I let logrotate to su, and inserted a portage role.
6 In this portage role I gave the capabilities to chmod and several binaries
7 can now write to /var/log/portage.
8 However an error message still persists and logrotate still cannot do its
9 job properly:
10 "error: error setting owner of /var/log/portage/elog/summary.log.1.gz:
11 Operation not permitted"
12 That's what I see in my mailbox.
13
14 The problem is that I see no grsec denial lines in grsec log. I suspected,
15 that I've hidden /var/log for some binaries silently. But that's not the
16 case. I've tried to run logrotate while I've switched on learning mode.
17 But I couldn't figure out what is missing from the policy.
18
19 So any of you might know what binary tries to change the ownership of elog
20 running in the name of which user?
21
22 Thanks for any hints:
23 Dw.
24 --
25 dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057
26 Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057