From: Ed W <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened profile update
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:16:11
1 Gordon Malm wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, September 15, 2009 04:46:13 Tom Hendrikx wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >>
6 >> As of today, portage notifies me that my current profile (hardened/x86)
7 >> is deprecated, and that "hardened/linux/x86/10.0" is the suggested
8 >> replacement.
9 >>
10 >> A few months ago, there was some traffic on this list regarding
11 >> profiles, resulting in the conclusion that "hardened/x86" was to be
12 >> preferred above the default as set (by releng?) in the hardened stages:
13 >> "hardened/linux/x86", as the latter was not approved or checked by the
14 >> hardened project.
15 >>
16 >> How does the new profile differ from hardened/x86, and is the new
17 >> profile tested/approved by the hardened project?
18 >>
19 >> --
20 >> Regards,
21 >> Tom
24 > Hi Tom,
25 >
26 > You are correct, the hardened/linux/${arch} profiles were born by releng.
27 > Hardened project took them over some time ago however and have been
28 > maintaining both profile sets in parallel. The time has come to pair that
29 > down to a single set of profiles again; thus the older hardened/${arch}
30 > profiles have been deprecated.
31 >
32 > The hardened/linux/${arch}/10.0 profiles are tested/approved by the hardened
33 > team. Please file a bug if you run into problems.
37 Can someone please explain why the default has switched to USE="-nls"?
38 What implications does this hold for people upgrading? (Should I remove
39 gettext at the end?)
40
41 Thanks