From: "Javier J. Martínez Cabezón" <tazok.id0@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] change /sbin/rc
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:33:16
1 Hi, I think that /sbin/rc should be changed from a shell script, the
2 reason is that with gentoo hardened, security policies could be done
3 removing all linux capabilities to root (and CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE), in my
4 setup syslog-ng is launched as user audit (which has CAP_SYS_ADMIN and
5 CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE as minimun rsbac capabilities), and between others
6 utmp has owner as audit user. Since root has not capabilities this
7 file cannot be touched, and chmod at boot. I can't grant to /sbin/rc a
8 minimum capability CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE because it doesn't work since it's
9 a bash shell-script, and granting it to mv, chmod etc is not a good
10 idea as you can suppose :). Could it be done?