From: atoth@××××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] "How hard" is Linux kernel-side hardening?
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 17:30:35
1 On Szo, Szeptember 19, 2009 18:13, Marco Venutti wrote:
2 > SELinux is included in the vanilla,
3 > this sounds good, but mastering
4 > SELinux is a long run
5 > (a lot of time to invest in it)
6 ...
7 > AppArmor, recently included in the Ubuntu-family,
8 > seems to be something like SELinux, but more
9 > user-friendly. I mean both (SELinux and AppArmor)
10 > have the intention to limitate damages coming from
11 > a compromised service. If I'm wrong feel free to
12 > clear my error.
13
14 Some security solutions you've mentioned above use LSM included in
15 vanilla. However not all security solutions keen on LSM:
16 http://www.grsecurity.net/lsm.php
17 http://www.rsbac.org/documentation/why_rsbac_does_not_use_lsm
18
19 > RSBAC seems to be hard on first approach,
20 > but much more flexible than GR-Security;
21 > on the other hand GR-Security has a good
22 > appeal if we're looking for an easy and fast way
23 > to lock down a desktop or a laptop, since it
24 > is "user-friendly ;-)" to install and set up
25 > and grants a good level of security.
26
27 User-friendlyness depends on the level of security you want to implement.
28 I use a rather lazy grsecurity policy, but I still have to update it
29 approximately every two weeks - as new applications come by.
30
31 > If I've understood correctly GR-Security could
32 > be the best choice for desktop and RSBAC the
33 > best choice for server...isn't it?
34
35 I'm not deeply into RSBAC's magic, but I think the best choice is the tool
36 you are more experienced in.
37
38 > What about overhead...I mean I see GRsec.
39 > has good performances, but I heard RSBAC
40 > is not so-light...have you experienced this
41 > slowlyness or it was, only present, in early
42 > releases?
43
44 Running my machine PaX enabled while grsecurity policies are active have a
45 definite impact on my machine's performance. I guess it depends on the
46 architecture (if you have NX-bit) and may be on how bulky your policy is.
47 Mine is over 100k. Sometimes X don't like PaX & low-latency preemption
48 combo (X pointer freezes). If I switch off preemption, it also slows it
49 down a bit.
50
51 You forgot to mention SSP (stack-smashing protection). It's an application
52 level protection, must be compiled in. It also has a performance impact.
53 I prepare my presentations on my laptop, which runs an SSP-enabled
54 OpenOffice. However I prefer to use a non-hardened machine for the actual
55 performance. Flipping form one slide to another is considerably slower on
56 my hardened machine, but I don't want to force my audience to sleep. For
57 personal use I would never use an ordinary office suite. But I don't care
58 about the machine the organizers make me available because I transfer my
59 document only in one direction.
60
61 > Back to subject of my post:
62 > "How hard" is Linux...hardening?
63
64 It's not that easy and perhaps it depends on one's personal skills.
65 However I think it's addictive.
66 My motto is: "If you go Hardened, you cant stop it."
67
68 > In the end, after long time tuning
69 > do, these tools, grant us an high level security?
70
71 You'll never find perfect security.
72
73 > I mean:
74 > Grsecurity had suffered of a return into libc exploit
75 > that bypassed its protection. Grsecurity had also
76 > a PaX-disabled bug in the past that expose
77 > machines to risks.
78
79 Every software - even OBSD - has bugs.
80
81 > Recently I've read something about a 2.6.30 bug
82 > which makes useless, enforcement like SELinux,
83 > AppArmor and so on...
84
85 Watch out for 2.6.31 perf_counter 0day:
86 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShoAOdx0K7I
87
88 > so I'm wondering if it is possible to harden Linux
89 > the way you can leave it online with, approximately,
90 > the same (high) probability, it won't be compromised
91 > as OpenBSD does.
92
93 Let me ask you just one thing. Please point me to an OBSD alternative of
94 the wide variety of Linux hardening solutions (SELinux, RSBAC, AppArmor or
95 grsecurity). Like TrustedBSD has FLASK/SEBSD implemented, analogous to
96 SELinux. Solaris has trusted extensions.
97
98 > I'm sure there are many skilled people, reading
99 > this mailing list, so I'll appreciate if someone
100 > will be patient and will enlighten me, giving some
101 > impartial inputs on what to study in my spare time.
102
103 I'm not a security expert.
104
105 Every system must be maintained to keep it up-to-date. If you think that
106 you don't have to spare time on it: that is a false sense of security.
107 Sacrifices must be made according to the level of security you are
108 targeting.
109
110 Hardened Gentoo offers several possibilities to choose between. It's fun!
111
112 Regards:
113 Dw.
114 --
115 dr Tóth Attila, Radiológus, 06-20-825-8057, 06-30-5962-962
116 Attila Toth MD, Radiologist, +36-20-825-8057, +36-30-5962-962