From: "Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike)" <klondike@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] The state of grsecurity in gentoo
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 19:18:07
1 El 02/09/15 a las 18:13, Anthony G. Basile escribió:
2 > Hi everyone,
3 >
4 > So by now most people have heard the news that the Grsecurity/PaX team
5 > are no longer going to be making their stable patches available. The
6 > reason is that they are in dispute with a certain embedded systems
7 > vendor and those negotiations broke down. So they decided to make
8 > their stable patches only available to the sponsors. [1]
9 >
10 > What does this mean for Gentoo? Up until now I have been maintaining
11 > both the grsec upstream stable and testing patchsets in our
12 > hardened-sources. Currently the upstream stable kernels are 3.2.71
13 > and 3.14.51 and the testing are 4.1.6. In about one week, the 3.2.71
14 > and 3.14.51 patchsets will no longer be available and I'll continue
15 > pushing out the 4.1.6. Unfortunately the testing patchset is
16 > precisely as the name suggests --- for testing and not production.
17 > For the embedded systems company this will be the kiss of death
18 > because those patches are not suitable for long term. For Gentoo it
19 > will mean that I will have to be more vigilant about bugs and trying
20 > to stick with a well known kernel before moving on. You can still use
21 > these kernels in production, but you must be carefull about
22 > instabilities as upstream pushes out experimental feature that may
23 > oops or panic. Keep older kernel images around and revert if it
24 > doesn't work. Look to this list for announcements about more serious
25 > issues like things that can cause data loss.
26 >
27 > I'm hoping that once this company feels the sting of what has just
28 > happened, they'll come back to the table and talk with Grsec/PaX people.
29 > They won't be able to ship boards with grsec anymore because its not
30 > so easy to switch out a kernel on a board! If they ship a board with
31 > a bug, they loose. We just reboot :)
32 >
33 > [1] https://grsecurity.net/
34 >
35 Only thing to add here is that spender expects the unstable kernels to
36 become more stable in the medium term because of this.