From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened Gentoo Developer Expectations and desired positions
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 21:15:16
1 Alright.. In the wake of the management changes I've written
2 (and the other developers commented/edited) a list of the expectations
3 of all Hardened Developers. It is our desire to make the Hardened
4 team as high quality as possible.
5
6 This is really a request for comment from the community, but if there
7 are no large changes desired it will go into policy next week.
8
9 ----
10 Hardened Gentoo Developer Expectations
11 Weekly email "meeting" with the following format
12
13 Estimated time spent on Hardened:
14 Brief summary of what was accomplished:
15 milestone goals:
16 any roadblocks:
17
18 These will be reviewed by everyone on the team, any blocks that are inter-project issues will be worked out among the developers working on said projects and the emails should be digested and sent to the hardened mailing list for community accountability.
19
20 Because of the seriousness of the Hardened project we need accountability in our progress and our commits. It has been suggested that we do peer reviews on all our own commits (within Hardened), and that all the Hardened related commits be digested and sent to a mailing list (possibly hardened-gentoo) or posted on the web.
23 New recruits should be able to (this also applies to existing Gentoo developers which want to participate in the Hardened project):
24
25 Demonstrate strong working knowledge in what they intend to contribute
26 Demonstrate motivation and willingness to contribute to Hardened Gentoo
27 Demonstrate high quality work and work ethic
28 Show that you have read and understand the Gentoo policies, and Hardened Gentoo policies, and be able to demonstrate an understanding of the policies in the form of a subjective narrative test.
29 Should be aware of the culture in Gentoo and the Hardened project. In general this means participating in the irc channels and observing developer -> developer and developer -> user interactions. Bugzilla is also an excellent tool for this.
32 While we know that all of us work on this in our free time for peanuts and magic beans, we still must be accountable and committed. Being on the Hardened team is not a trivial hobby, our developers should be knowledgeable and motivated to progress the project and at the same time accountable to the rest of the team and to the community. Also, you must only commit to projects that you have time for, committing to projects and then not being able to handle them is detrimental to the project as a whole. If there are scheduling difficulties please make everyone aware so that steps to keep the project moving forward can be taken.
33
34 ------
35
36 What does all this mean? We are making a concerted effort to become
37 accountable in work being done and patches going in to portage to the
38 community, but that won't do a single thing without all of you, the community
39 reading the provided information, commenting, suggesting improvements, etc.
40
41 Now, the developer expectations given we really need some positions filled:
42
43 Fulltime GentooHardened Kernel Maintainer
44 Potential candidates should possess the following skill set.
45
46 A fair understanding of the linux kernel.
47 Ability to debug and solve GentooHardened kernel related conflicts.
48 Ability to work faster than a tortoise.
49 Ability to maintain large patchsets including but not limited to
50 ck-base
51 GrSecurity
52 SELinux/LSM
53 SysTrace
54 CryptoApi
55 FreeSWAN
56 netfilter patch-o-matic
59 Fulltime GentooHardened Document Maintainer
60 This would allow the hardened-core team more time for security research.
61
62 Potential candidates should possess the following skill set.
63
64 -Developmental / Project Editing
65 Co-ordination and editing a project from proposal or rough xml/manuscript to final xml/manuscript, incorporating input from authors, consultants, and reviewers. May include design supervision, and project co-ordination.
66
67 -Substantive or Structural Editing
68 Clarifying and/or reorganizing a xml/manuscript for content and structure. Changes may be suggested and or drafted for the author. May include negotiating changes with author or hardened developers.
69
70 Stylistic Editing
71 Clarifying meaning, eliminating jargon, smoothing language, and other non-mechanical line-by-line editing. May include checking or correcting reading level; creating or recasting tables and/or figures; negotiating changes with software authors or a hardened developers.
72
73 Rewriting
74 Creating a new xml/manuscripts pages or parts of a xml/manuscripts on the basis of content and research supplied by an author or a hardened developer. Including some research and writing of original material.
75
76 Willingness to work within wiki enviroments.
77 This job will also include preparing the upcoming Gentoo Hardened Weekly Newsletter (which will contain all the sections mentioned in the expectations)
81 Note:
82
83 All potentional candidates should send mail to method@g.o && CC solar@g.o , frogger@g.o , pebenito@g.o as well as join #gentoo-hardened at irc.freenode.net -
88 Joshua Brindle