From: Alex Efros <powerman@××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened laptop: am I nuts?
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 19:02:01
1 Hi!
2
3 On Wed, Dec 05, 2007 at 10:33:18AM -0800, Ned Ludd wrote:
4 > No.. You must reinstall as I said already.
5 > Also the "multilib" USE flag is moot. It was replaced long ago by
6 > profile defines. It exists afaik for legacy reasons.
7
8 Huh... Can you please make it 100% clear?
9
10 If somebody has any 64-bit system, and at some point later he will need to
11 run any 32-bit binary (like VMware, Skype, etc.), he will need to
12 reinstall his system?
13
14 No way to, say, compile 32-bit-compatible packages in chroot, and then
15 just update current system with these binary packages using emerge -K?
16
17 In general, is it possible to switch (upgrade/disgrade) between 32-bit,
18 64-bit and 64-bit with 32-bit binaries support systems? I mean, by
19 recompiling/installing something on current system and reboot, without
20 need to boot special 32/64-bit environment like LiveCD, installing new
21 system and then moving all configuration from old system to new?
24 WBR, Alex.
25 --
26 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list