From: "Anthony G. Basile" <basile@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o, pageexec@××××××××.hu, Brad Spengler <spender@××××××××××.net>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] GrSecurity: slow learning mode & incomplete policy
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2014 22:28:47
1 On 09/14/14 08:28, Michel Arboi wrote:
2 > I have some troubles with GrSecurity learning mode and did not find
3 > any answer in https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Grsecurity/The_Administration_Utility#Learning_Mode
4 > Their ML appears to be dead, or restricted to announces now.
5 >
6 > 1) I let "gradm -F -L ..." run for a couple of weeks, then threw the
7 > logs to "gradm -F -L ... -O ...".
8 > It generated a rather restrictive policy, I twiked some rules, and
9 > when I implemented the policy, some programs were blocked although
10 > they had been seen many times (for example, Postfix components).
11 > I added "l" (learn) flags to the impacted "subjects", ran the learning
12 > process again and fixed most problems.
13 >
14 > Anyway, I still saw bizarre messages, e.g.:
15 > (default:D:/) denied access to hidden file /etc/localtime by
16 > /usr/sbin/fetchnews[fetchnews:22855] uid/euid:9/9 gid/egid:13/13,
17 > parent /etc/cron.daily/fetchnews[fetchnews:22854] uid/euid:0/0
18 > gid/egid:0/0 /usr/sbin/fetchnews
19 >
20 > I don't understand why the default role complains here: I have a role
21 > for the "news" user and all programs than run under its UID avec an
22 > associated subject.
23 >
24 > 2) (incremental) learning of the news logs is awfully slow.
25 >
26 > # gradm -L /tmp/learning.logs -O /tmp/policy
27 > Beginning full learning object reduction for subject /usr/sbin/uptimed...done.
28 > [snip]
29 > Beginning full learning object reduction for subject /...
30 >
31 > The first subjects appeared quickly. Now, gradm has spend days on /
32 > using 100% CPU (on one core) and 1 GB.
33 >
34 > What mistake did I make?
37 I don't see any, to be honest. 1) are you sure fetchnews ran at least
38 once during the learning? A couple of weeks is certainly long enough.
39 I wonder if its too long? 2) The cpu problems seems like a genuine bug.
40
41 We should probably open a proper bug reprot for this, but let me send
42 this upstream now.
45 Anthony G. Basile, Ph. D.
46 Chair of Information Technology
47 D'Youville College