From: Panagiotis Atmatzidis <p.atmatzidis@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardening SSHD
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 16:04:37
1 Longman, Bill wrote:
2 >> I've seen many recommendations for port knocking, but I feel that's
3 >> unnecessarily complex when compared to simply changing the port sshd
4 >> listens on. While the use of port knocking no doubt further decreases
5 >> your exposure over an alternate sshd port, the difference is only a
6 >> small percentage of the benefit you receive from moving away from port
7 >> 22 in the first place.
8 >
9 > I've moved most of my public SSH ports off 22 because it reduces by
10 > thousandfolds the script kiddies playing with their toys and filling my logs
11 > and pipes. There is no more efficient means that will give you such returns
12 > with such little effort.
13 >
14 > I only wish I'd done it sooner. Yeah, you'll still get port scanned and
15 > someone will snoop around, but that's not in the face of the storm on port
16 > 22.
17
18 Actually, if you apply RSA/DSA key-authentication the only thing that
19 you are going to protect is your bandwidth, no script or (known) exploit
20 is going to crack your openssh daemon that way.
21
22 I really don't worry about script kiddies hacking my computer via
23 openssh-brute force. As long as it requires keys for entrance.
24
25 The problem is the 'targeted hacking' and I believe that you should be
26 worried about that scenario much more.
27
28 After all, even if some kid breaks in (probably using a buggy php
29 program that you run on the server), it's highly unlikely that he will
30 manage to bypass a 'hardened' box running a security model (pax +
31 rsbac/selinux/grsec).
32
33 It will take a 'Wizard' to bypass that level of security.
34
35 And if this is the case, make sure your setup is correct till the last
36 file and pray :-)
37 --
38 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list