From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Exploring Gentoo Hardened
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 21:19:07
1 Hi all,
2 Just an introduction. First post here but _longtime_ Gentoo user.
3 (Early 2003 I think...) I ran Redhat before that starting in 1997.
4
5 I'm a basic desktop end-user type. Self-employed, using KDE,
6 vlc/makemkv/handbrake, and multiple Virtualbox Win 7 VMs for trading
7 in the financial markets. I've converted my wife & 3 generations of my
8 family (parents in the 80's and son in his 20's) to Gentoo. None of
9 use native Windows anymore. I administer all the systems.
10
11 I'm starting to look down the road to a new main machine for me in
12 6 months to 1 year. I'd like to start learning about the whole
13 hardened environment - what it can and cannot do, at least easily. If
14 I go this direction it's likely to try to be a fully encrypted disk
15 subsystem, including initrd. I'm not overly performance driven, but
16 that said I want to know where the cycles are going and don't want to
17 waste them if possible.
18
19 Anyway, thought I'd say hi and look for any pointers about what to
20 read for a user such as myself. I'm going through the Gentoo Hardened
21 pages and trying to understand what model to use - grsecurity or
22 selinux. I'm leaning toward grsecurity but I don't have a good reason
23 one way or the other as of yet.
24
25 I am interested in trying to do this in a VBox VM just as a
26 learning exercise and which I understand it won't be as secure as
27 doing it on bare metal I'd be very interested in hearing about others
28 experience in this area.
29
30 Thanks,
31 Mark