From: William Robertson <wkr@×××××××.edu>
To: "Peter S. Mazinger" <ps.m@×××.net>
Cc: Alexander Gabert <pappy@g.o>, Christopher Kruegel <chris@×××××××.edu>, "<gentoo-hardened@g.o>" <gentoo-hardened@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Re: was: http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~wkr/projects/heap_protection/software.html
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 19:10:25
1 On Dec 13, 2003, at 13:39, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
2 > How about porting this to uClibc?
3
4 I haven't looked at uClibc's code, so I can't say whether the glibc
5 patch's techniques apply, but we'd be willing to investigate the issue.
6
7 > What are the benefits used along with PaX and propolice?
8
9 As I understand it, what PaX provides, among other things, is
10 protection from execution on the heap, while propolice prevents
11 exploitation of stack overflows. Our patch is in the same class of
12 protective techniques as propolice, as it prevents vulnerability
13 exploitation rather than execution of injected code. Thus, it's
14 another layer of defense, because even with PaX enabled you could
15 exploit a heap overflow and execute some exploit payload elsewhere in
16 memory or otherwise subvert control flow.
17
18 > Peter
21 William Robertson
22 Reliable Software Group, UC Santa Barbara
23 http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~wkr/
27 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list