From: Arne Morten Johansen <amj@×××××××.no>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Updates: a way too simplified security question I am asking anyway
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:58:32
1 Interesting points. But I don't think the hardened mailinglist is the
2 right place to discuss general software-design, even if it's security
3 related. But who am I to say what's allowed here? :-)
4
5 My personal view is that software will always have bugs and security
6 holes. That's why it's important to have multiple layers of security. If
7 a program/package has a software bug that could lead to security issues
8 it doesn't make the whole system unsafe. I think the hardened-project
9 comes a long way to address this. It's never gonna be perfect but
10 atleast it is IMO a very good start. Secure your services with good
11 secure network design, educated users (this goes a long way), patched
12 software, correctly and securely configured software, and lastly
13 hardening technologies like the stuff gentoo-hardened provides.
14
15 Claiming that Linux-developers don't think about security is pretty
16 unfair. Even if openbsd have had few remote exploits in its default
17 install. There have been alot of remote exploits after you start adding
18 usefull applications. An OS is nothing without its apps ;)
19
20 As for updates, just upgrade stuff with known holes? Limit the number of
21 packages and the number of holes to fix won't be so big. I've also set
22 up a glsa-check script to run on cron to e-mail me warnings. No need to
23 do emerge -uavD world every week. But I do agree the patching arms-race
24 is not optimal. But openBSD and other platforms suffers from the very
25 same problem. I don't think we're gonna see a solution to that problem
26 in the nearest future.
27
28 Probably not the educated answer you were looking for. I mainly wrote it
29 for my self to see what i'd come up with. Hope someone else will answer to.
30
31 Arne Morten
32
33 Jan Klod skrev:
34 > Hello,
35 > some people in gentoo forum made me ask this one: it is supposed, that regular
36 > updates of system is a wise thing to do, but, excuse me, ... those bugs and
37 > holes are there before someone say "update them" -- so do you agree, nowdays
38 > Linux is never safe?
39 > OpenBSD has its own slogan about only very few remote holes in long time -- so
40 > it makes an impression, I can install an OpenBSD machine and let it do it's
41 > job.
42 > Can anyone crash my impression about OpenBSD (and is it still alive enough, by
43 > the way?)?
44 > How about hardened gentoo in this regard (create system for few, specific
45 > purposes and leave it for years without damn update hustle)?
46 >
47 > I realize, this is "in general", but the question is about software writing
48 > style (think when write it or wait for someone to find what is wrong) and
49 > ways to protect from bugs (like overflows etc) in software.
50 >
51 > In ideal world, updates are necessary only to get software, that has new
52 > functions -- do we seam to approach it?
53 >
54 > Jan