From: Chris PeBenito <pebenito@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] NFS on SELinux
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:09:59
1 On Wed, 2005-10-19 at 10:54 -0400, Andy Dustman wrote:
2 > I'm missing some important piece of how to properly mount NFS
3 > filesystems under SELinux. I can get the filesystem to mount, but if I
4 > try to access it, I get permission denied. Additionally, doing ls -dZ
5 > on the mount point shows (none) as the label.
6
7 NFS does not support exporting of labels, since it does not support
8 xattr. Any NFS filesystems you mount will have (none) as the labels,
9 and all of the contents will have the label system_u:object_r:nfs_t,
10 even if the server is a SELinux machine. So on your client, you have to
11 give access to nfs_t.
12
13 > So I'm guessing it's labeled nfs_t as would be expected, but even
14 > getting the label is not allowed for the context.
15
16 I'm not sure what you mean by "getting the label is not allowed for the
17 context".
18
19 > I'm aware of the need for NFS extensions on the client and server in
20 > order to fully-implement file labelling.
21
22 Right, except it will not likely be available anytime soon (if ever).
23 You could try the NFSv3 experimental code on nsa.gov/selinux, but I have
24 no idea if its up to date, and its not likely production quality. If
25 NFS were to get real labeling support, it would be on NFSv4, not v3.
26
27 In fact, I think CIFS is probably the closest network filesystem to
28 having support for SELinux, as it has xattr support. It may just need
29 to be enhanced to have security labels, but I'm not sure.
30
31 > The server in this case is a NetApp Filer, so I don't expect it to
32 > magically work. From what I am able to tell, all the files should be
33 > labeled nfs_t, but I'm not really sure about this, based on
34 > tunable.te, i.e. nfs_portdir and nfs_home_dirs.
35
36 You turn on nfs_portdir if you have a portage tree or overlay on NFS.
37 Nfs_home_dirs is if you have a NFS /home.
40 Chris PeBenito
41 <pebenito@g.o>
42 Developer,
43 Hardened Gentoo Linux
44 Embedded Gentoo Linux
45
46 Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE6AF9243
47 Key fingerprint = B0E6 877A 883F A57A 8E6A CB00 BC8E E42D E6AF 9243