From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux Policy Development
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 21:02:28
1 On Sep 11, 2012 4:51 PM, "Alex Brandt" <alunduil@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > I've been reading through your wonderful handbook,
3 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/selinux/selinux-handbook.xml?part=2&chap=5
4 >
5 > , about modifying the SELinux policy in Gentoo but was hoping you could
6 provide a little more specific advice about the how to write SELinux
7 policies for personal projects:
11 > * What's the best way to store this? With the project or as a separate
12 code repository or as a contribution to upstream policies?
13
14 Depends on the complexity. If you can manage the personal policies as
15 additional files without patching the existing policies then I would use
16 separate files. Recently you can keep those in the ebuilds if you want.
17
18 If the patching of the existing policies is marginal, then I wouldn't
19 recommend creating a separate repo as it is quite a time consuming activity.
20
21 > * Is writing live ebuilds for selinux policies recommended or frowned
22 upon?
23
24 There are live ebuilds in the hardened dev overlay. They are definitely
25 useful, but don't forget rebuilding occasionally...
26
27 > * Where should my policy live in the long run?
28
29 If they can benefit others please send thdm to us - bugzilla - or upstream.
30 If you do it through us I will send it upstream eventually anyhow.
31
32 > * Is there anything else that you can recommend for writing policies of
33 this kind?
34
35 Just start with it. And perhaps follow the discussions on the refpolicy
36 mailinglist for coding style feedback.
37
38 > Thanks for any advice or best practices you can share.
39 >
40 yw ;-)