From: "Hanno Böck" <hanno@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Is there interest in gentoo-cfi?
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2017 10:39:39
1 Hi,
2
3 Control Flow Integrity is a new set of exploit mitigations (strictly
4 speaking, there is not "the CFI", but many variants). LLVM/clang has
5 support for some form of CFI since a while. The rough idea is that it
6 adds additional checks to the code to avoid jumps to code pieces that
7 shouldn't happen.
8
9 I'm wondering if there's interest in creating a gentoo-hardened-cfi
10 variant. I've been playing with it a bit. By setting the right
11 cc/cflags/etc. variables it's relatively straightforward to compile
12 single packages with cfi.
13
14 However when one tries to recompile packages a lot of errors show up.
15 Most of them aren't directly related to CFI (though some are). CFI
16 depends on:
17 * clang, which is not our default (there has been work in the past for
18 gentoo with clang).
19 * fvisibility=hidden. This was afair discussed a while back, but never
20 considered to be enabled in general, only for specific packages.
21 * link time optimization/lto and thus the gold linker, because the
22 "classic" ld doesn't support lto.
23 Many issues that pop up seem like issues to build systems and linking.
24 In some cases though one needs to fix function pointer definitions that
25 don't match their respective functions. (Here's a fix [1] that I sent
26 to curl and that'll be applied in the next version.)
27
28 For now I'm just investigating whether there's interest in this. I
29 could create some docs in the wiki on how to get started.
30
31 [1]
32 https://github.com/curl/curl/commit/aced311d189a70c7d9b2d958739bcfc1231b3698
33 --
34 Hanno Böck
35 https://hboeck.de/
36
37 mail/jabber: hanno@××××××.de
38 GPG: FE73757FA60E4E21B937579FA5880072BBB51E42