From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] SELinux and rkhunter
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 10:08:59
1 On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 02:01:51PM +0000, Robert Sharp wrote:
2 > On 25/11/16 11:51, Jason Zaman wrote:
3 >
4 > Ideally, rkhunter should just have a policy.
5 > It would need something like: cron_system_entry(rkhunter_t, rkhunter_exec_t)
6 > If you wanted to write one, basing it off the aide policy would probably
7 > help.
8 > [1]https://gitweb.gentoo.org/proj/hardened-refpolicy.git/tree/policy/modules/con
9 > trib/aide.te
10 > Its quite a simple policy, it pretty much just needs to read everything
11 > on disk.
12 >
13 > Well, I want to learn more about SELinux so writing and testing a
14 > "proper" policy sounds like an idea. I will give it a go.
15
16 Yes, the cron policy in SELinux has two "modes": either you have user cron
17 jobs run as the users' domain, or as the cronjob_t one. System cronjobs will
18 always run with system_cronjob_t.
19
20 Both cronjob_t and system_cronjob_t are meant as a sort-of stepping stone
21 towards the proper policy domain, as otherwise these domains would need to
22 be made very permissive which is contrary to the approach we want to take
23 with SELinux.
24
25 Wkr,
26 Sven Vermeulen