From: Ed Wildgoose <lists@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] Anyone played with vservers?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 22:57:42
1 Noticed this rather nice HOWTO writeup via the forums:
2 http://oss.croup.de/vserver/guide/
3
4 I have been casting around for a little while now on how best to setup a
5 part internet facing machine which runs a variety of services like
6 apache, postfix, courier-imap, tiny-dns, etc, whilst remaining as secure
7 as possible.
8
9 Right now the various "secure" options seem to be somewhat orthogonal
10 and you have to pick one of the other. I couldn't really fathom
11 selinux, grsec seems to be struggling to keep up to date with the latest
12 kernels, usermode seems to have some troubles with a hardened kernel
13 (and reportedly isn't too speedy in some circumstances?).
14
15 So vservers seems to be a relatively poorly discussed alternative?
16 Anyone got any thoughts? The link above points to a bug report on
17 tweaking the initial stages to handle vservers a little better - is
18 there any way to get a bit more interest in merging in the proposed
19 changes by stiring up some interest here?
20
21 Curious to hear any success/failure stories with vserver, or any other
22 success stories on how to handle this problem of a general purpose
23 server with some internet facing stuff, but all on a single box.
24
25 Thanks
26
27 Ed W