From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Grsecurity slows down a web server?
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:14:57
1 On 23 Jan 2009 at 6:10, Grant wrote:
2
3 > >> My website seems a bit slower since I enabled grsecurity on that
4 > >> system. Is that typical? Is it most likely due to MPROTECT, or
5 > >> something else?
6 > >
7 > > can you quantify this slowdown? and what grsec/pax features did you enable?
8 >
9 > I enabled the grsecurity "Gentoo (server)" profile in the hardened
10 > kernel.
11
12 ok, is PAGEEXEC enabled (and SEGMEXEC isn't) and is your cpu some P4 variant
13 without NX support? that's about the only situation where you should see an
14 observable slowdown, otherwise i doubt you can percieve a few % without
15 actual measurements. so if neither is your case, it's definitely worth an
16 investigation.