From: Joshua Brindle <method@g.o>
To: "Felisberto, Gustavo Adolfo Silva Ribeiro" <humpback@××××××××××.net>, gentoo-hardened@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened Roadmap
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:23:04
1 >Hello.
2
3 Hi!
4
5 >I am a Linux user since 1995 and a Gentoo user since February 2002. I have done a lot of work as
6 >a system administrator and have been devoting some time to more advanced security aspects
7 >such as kernel security and ACL systems.
8 >
9 >I tried to find a roadmap of the gentoo hardened project but could not.
10
11 We are still a small team trying to take on a lot. Additionally most of us are in college and finals
12 are just around the corner (next week here). Since we are all very busy we haven't been
13 able to sit down and set some dates or deadlines.
14
15 >I wanted to now where the project is... where does it want to arrive... who needs help with
16 >what......
17
18 After finals we should expect that much more
19 will get done, especially on the documentation side.
20
21 >I am specially interested in grsecurity and it's acl system. What is the hardened idea? To focus on
22 >"server" software and produce acl's for ALL the server programs? Have the ebuild developers
23 >making acl's for the software they maintain (is this secure? are they security educated? )
24 >
25 >I hope the work keeps being as good as it is now. And i hope i can help with what i know/can .
26
27 We are hoping to make acl's available to everyone, especially server users. We will
28 probably come up with a baseline set of policies for all ACL/MAC implementations at
29 some point, and then strive to get not only the baseline set for all implementations
30 but also as many additional policies as possible. We are also still wresting with some
31 policy logistics (like transport and updating).
32
33 >Gustavo Felisberto
34 >aka HumpBack
35