From: Brandon Hale <tseng@g.o>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened for a small home network?
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 16:09:17
1 On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 18:25 +0300, Andrei Maxim wrote:
2 > Hi,
3
4 Hi!
5
6 > In the last 3 weeks I have discovered a lot about Gentoo and its ease of
7 > use made me try using my Gentoo Linux box as a web server.
8 > After this first successful experience, I have configured Postfix and
9 > Squirrelmail and even made some accounts for my friends.
10 >
11 > Right now my #1 concern is related to the security of my computer: it
12 > has a static IP address and it gets scanned a couple of hundred times
13 > per day (and I'm not kidding!). Having a mail server at hand might be
14 > just asking for trouble and I really don't want to spread spam without
15 > knowing.
16
17 Two major items:
18 First, make sure all hosts that are exposed to the network are properly
19 firewalled. You might have a router with a built in firewall, I'd
20 research iptables and run it on the server anyway (call me paranoid).
21 Second, if you run an open relay on your mail server, we will break your
22 legs. Make sure you arent by limiting connections to the mail server
23 either to local subnets only, or setting up authentication to use the
24 server (preferably with SSL). Lots of howtos on the web for both
25 iptables and SMTP auth/SSl with Postfix.
26
27 > I have a really small network of 3 computers (two of them being laptops)
28 > and the so-called server is also my personal computer which I use on a
29 > daily basis.
30 > I was wandering if I should switch to Hardened Gentoo on my server (and
31 > I am already planning to switch the laptops from Debian to Gentoo) as I
32 > know it will make things more secure, but also it might be quite an
33 > overkill for such a small network.
34
35 At the moment we choose not to support Hardened Gentoo on "desktop"
36 machines, which is essentially what we are talking about here. Alot of
37 desktop apps, Xfree, mplayer, xine, all misbehave. They have a bad
38 security track record, and really dont get along with our toolchain
39 modifications either. If at all possible, I'd recommend getting yourself
40 a cheap dedicated server to play with, and run only server-type apps.
41 This also limits the number of exploitable apps on a single box.
42
43 > Switching to Hardened Gentoo might mean that I will lose a rather big
44 > amount of time to reconfigure everything on my computer, so I really
45 > don't want to switch unless it's absolutely necessary.
46
47 Nothing here is necessary, we just deliver the best security and
48 hardening options we can find.
49
50 > I want to run (as a server) Apache, Postfix/Qmail, mailman (or ezmlm?),
51 > Squirrelmail and SSH.
52
53 Fair enough.
54