From: Julian Rendell <wandering.womble@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-hardened] What are the releases/x86/current/stages/hardened/2.6/ stages?
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 07:58:33
1 Hi everyone-
2
3 can anyone enlighten me as to what the above stages are?
4 Is the tool-chain included pax, pie, ssp enabled?
5 Are the other compiled binaries compiled with with pax, pie, ssp?
6
7 They're a lot newer than the SE Linux stages in the experimental
8 directory; would they be a good place to start to get a working SE
9 linux system? I.e. would a reasonable installation process be
10 1. burn the 2005.0 x86-universal live cd
11 2. use it to setup the base configuration
12 3. use the stage 3 hardened stage
13 4. boot the system, verify things are ok
14 5. follow the SE Linux upgrade guide
15 6. install/compile apache & asterisk (the two server aps this machine will run)
16
17 I've tried the SE Linux install CD and stage 3 tarball, but emerge seg
18 faults whenever I try to install anything, at the end of the
19 installation process.
20
21 I'm trying to avoid as much compilation as possible as I'm installing
22 this onto an older machine (500MHz k6II), and don't have the week or
23 two it'll take to recompile everything :-).
24
25 If I can't avoid compiling from stage2, how do I set up distcc on
26 another machine- I assume somework has to be done there to ensure the
27 other machines are also using the same versions of the toolchain and
28 generate pie/pax/ssp code- or am I wrong?
29 On my faster gentoo machine I notice gcc_config -l gives a list of
30 installed gcc options, is it enough to just select the hardened
31 version of gcc and then restart distcc? (Assuming the major version
32 numbers of GCC are the same on both.)
33
34 Thanks in advance for your advice-
35
36 Julian