From: Kfir Lavi <lavi.kfir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Tool for eliminating non used code or symbols?
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 20:35:47
1 On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 2:52 PM, PaX Team <pageexec@××××××××.hu> wrote:
2 > On 25 Mar 2013 at 9:01, Kfir Lavi wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi,
5 >> I'm looking for a way to reduce glibc code size.
6 >> It can be a way to make system smaller and minimize the impact
7 >> of attack vectors in glibc, as in return-to-libc attack.
8 >
9 > study this and draw your conclusions whether the whole exercise is
10 > worth it or not:
11 >
12 > https://www.usenix.org/conference/usenix-security-11/q-exploit-hardening-made-easy
15 Thanks for sharing this talk. I didn't know that the program image in
16 Linux is not randomize by ASLR.
17 What i understand from this talk: I can probably take a lot of code
18 out of glibc, but it will never be less then 20K, which lets attacker
19 that is able to jump to glibc, to construct his ROP program.
20 As I don't have much experience in security, my question would be: Can
21 we deploy another mechanism to fight this ROP program building from
22 the program image?
23
24 Thanks,
25 Kfir