From: pageexec@××××××××.hu
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Hardened Gentoo + Quake3?
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 11:47:35
1 On 28 Jan 2007 at 3:22, gentoo-hardened-ml-01@××××××.org wrote:
2
3 > Ok, I think I have it. PaX detects and intercepts attempts to execute code on
4 > a non-executable stack. SSP/ProPolice detects actual overflows upon return
5 > to the caller, but will not necessarily stop a program from "legitimately"
6 > executing a non-executable stack if that execution would not result in a
7 > stack overflow. Is this correct?
8
9 almost ;-). PaX catches execution attempts in any kind of non-exec
10 memory, be that the stack or heap or something else.
11
12 second, ssp does not concern itself with code execution on the stack
13 per se, rather, it wants to ensure that the saved return address on
14 the stack isn't modified by a buffer overflow (these two things are
15 orthogonal, you can execute code on the stack without overflowing any
16 buffer, and you can overflow a buffer without triggering code execution
17 on the stack).
18
19 on a non-executable stack (e.g., that PaX creates) nothing can be
20 executed, regardless of ssp (that's why it's called non-executable).
21 ssp also doesn't prevent legitimate stack execution attempts (e.g.,
22 nested function trampolines) because they're not triggered by stack
23 overflows.
24
25 lastly, i think you meant "would not be the result of" instead of
26 "would not result in" (in an attack, shellcode execution follows the
27 overflow, not the other way around), and yes, ssp isn't triggered
28 as long as its canary is left intact.
31 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list