From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] ipv6 on by default for hardened profile
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 15:03:37
1 On 06/26/12 20:42, Francisco Blas Izquierdo Riera (klondike) wrote:
2 > El 26/06/12 07:43, Michael Orlitzky escribió:
3 >> It's easy enough to set USE="-ipv6" manually of course, but the same
4 >> argument works for USE="ipv6". So, I think the default should be what
5 >> most people want; i.e. what the fewest people will have to override. Do
6 >> most hardened machines use ipv6?
7 > These here is a nice fallacy it is called Argumentum ad Populum and
8 > doesn't stands. Why? Because these is about having an usable system.
9 > If you disable ipv6 on the profiles users on ipv6 only systems can't
10 > then use the stages since they need to fetch system to rebuild the
11 > packages and for that they need ipv6. So, since from a functionality
12 > point of view enabling it won't leave on an unusable system after
13 > unpacking the stage to users of either ipv4 or dual stack systems the
14 > USE will be on.
15
16 I'm not using "most people..." to support my argument; "most people
17 don't use ipv6" *is* my argument, so it's hardly a fallacy. The defaults
18 should be what cause the least amount of pain to the fewest people.
19
20 Anyway, I think I missed this earlier, and it makes the point moot: if
21 the hardened stages *must* be built with the default USE flags, then
22 ipv6 should be on. If they must, I think that's probably not ideal but
23 orthogonal to the current discussion.