From: Jean-Pierre Schwickerath <gentoo@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-hardened@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-hardened] Cannot boot a hardened-sources-2.4.33.4 on a SATA drive
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 12:54:39
1 Hello René,
2
3 > Kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8, errno = 2
4 > VFS: cannot open root device "sda11" or 08:0b
5 > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
6 > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:0b
7 >
8 > Apart the obvious "stick to the 2.6 kernel", what can I do?
9
10 What is your reason for not using the 2.6-branch? AFAIK 2.6 is the
11 recommended hardened kernel version.
12
13 If I look at the modprobe output right before mounting the root device,
14 it looks like your sata-driver is not compiled into the kernel but
15 present as module. Or maybe your kernel is trying to use ahci
16 or something else instead of you sata-nv module.
17
18 Regards.
19
20 Jean-Pierre
23 Powered by GNU/Linux - http://schwicky.net/
24 PGP Key ID: 0xEE6F49B4 - ICQ: 4690141 - schwicky@××××××.org
25
26 Nothing is impossible... Everything is relative!
27 --
28 gentoo-hardened@g.o mailing list